In this issue
Agency: The South Walton Fire District (SWFD) is a professional fire/rescue agency located in Walton County Florida. SWFD maintains 5 fire stations, a communications center and provides beach safety services for the South Walton Beaches. SWFD is responsible for Fire Protection, Emergency Medical Services Transport, Lifeguards, Hazard Mitigation, Public Fire/Life Safety Education and Prevention as well as 911 Communication Services for an area of 84 square miles. South Walton is an area that runs from the Okaloosa/Walton County line on the west, to the Walton/Bay County line on the east and from Choctawhatchee Bay (Intracoastal Waterway) north, to the Gulf of Mexico on the south. Included in this area are 26 miles of beaches and 26 miles of inland waterways. The population of South Walton ranges from 30,000 to over 100,000 during the tourist season.
Job Description: The South Walton Fire District is currently seeking applicants for the position of Communications Operator. The successful candidate will perform responsible operational work in the day-to-day operations of the Communications Division. This position functions as a Dispatcher for emergency and non-emergency responses for the South Walton Fire District. General supervision is received from the Communications Supervisor or Communications Director, who reviews work and evaluates performance based on efficiency, effectiveness and adherence to established procedures.
- Answers multi-line telephone system including incoming 911 emergency and non-emergency calls from the public for police, fire and emergency medical services (EMS) response.
- Processes emergency and non-emergency calls according to defined protocol.
- Transmits and receives transmissions on a complex 800 MHz trunked radio system.
- Makes decisions as to categorization of emergencies received from 911 calls.
- Strategic selection of emergency fire and/or rescue apparatus to accomplish the goals of saving lives and property.
- Uses computers, telephones, radios, maps and printed resource material to process emergency information accurately and quickly.
- Accesses a variety of computer information systems and databases to retrieve, verify and enter data.
- Cultivates and maintains a positive environment within the Communications Division.
- Maintains a variety of logs
- Participates in coordinating emergency responses and assistance from external agencies.
- Performs other duties of a similar nature or level.
Knowledge Required for the Position:
- Customer service and recordkeeping principles, typing, standard office equipment, map reading, multi-tasking
- Ability to operate computer and applicable software, maintaining logs
- Ability to evaluate call urgency and taking appropriate action.
- Ability to operate radio communications equipment.
- Minimum Qualifications:
- High School diploma or GED or an equivalent combination of education and experience sufficient to successfully perform the essential duties of the job such as those listed.
- Valid unrestricted Florida Driver’s License.
- Must be able to work rotating shifts, days, nights, holidays and weekends.
- Must possess above average data entry and typing skills
- Must be a non-smoking/non-tobacco using person, both on and off the job, at the time of employment and maintain same non-smoking and non-use throughout the term of employment.
- Must successfully pass the Dire District’s drug screen and background check requirements as a condition of employment.
Must obtain within first 12 months of employment
- Florida certified 911 Public Safety Telecommunicator
- Current CPR certification as accepted by Florida Department of Health
- National Incident Management System certification in IS-100, IS-200, IS-700 and IS-800
- Emergency Fire Dispatch & Emergency Medical Dispatch certification preferredHow to Apply: Applications may be submitted by mail, fax or email to the following no later than Friday, March 26, 2021.
South Walton Fire District
- 850-267-1298 (Office)
- 911 N. County Highway 393